Sunday, June 13, 2010

Semperviva Yoga Sea - Granville Island

http://www.semperviva.com/locations.php

On Saturday morning I was ready to start my day with some yoga. I took the 11 am Power Yoga class. The Sea Studio on Granville Island is a bit hidden away. You have to walk thru a walkway from Emily Carr to get to the building which Semperviva is located. I had to walk up the short set of stairs to the yoga studio. I walked into a really small reception area. The prior class was just leaving the studio and the 11 am class was just entering. There was only one shelf and it was taken from the prior class. The 11 am class had to leave their shoes under the bench. There wasn't much room for everyone's shoes. Once I left my shoes under the bench, I walked into the studio. There were already mats laid out. I just picked a spot and put my mat on top of theirs. There was about 30 people that attended the class. There were two walls that had windows. It was a really warm day so they had to open the windows for some fresh air. Outside on False Creek there were lots of boats out and there was something going one with 'pirates'. They were making lots of noise. For me, yoga is about serenity and relaxation. The 'pirates' made it really difficult for me. The teacher had the music loud to try to drown out the 'pirates'. But then the music was too loud for me I couldn't hear the teacher. I depended on watching what others were doing.

I should learn that Power Yoga means it's more of an intermediate class. Some poses are more difficult for me. One pose that I can't do yet is the headstand. Maybe it's the weight one my head that I'm not used to yet?

I realized that I enjoy a yoga class which is quiet, serene, the smell of incense (or other nice scent) and quiet relaxing music. Semperviva did not provide that for me. It wasn't quiet enough for me. There was no incense (or nice scent). Of course it's not that important but it provides the whole yoga experience. The reception area was too small. There was too much traffic congestion between classes. The music was too loud. I would have wanted more relaxing music like nature sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment